Canton Spring Softball League
These are the Canton Little League Softball Rules. These were reviewed and agreed on by various members of the CLL board of directors. Our goal is to teach the girls the rules that are being played in other towns and will help better prepare them for future play. It is not about winning…it is about teaching the girls the skills. Play by the rules!!
Participation, play, equipment and field requirements will all be in accordance with the ASA “2011 Participation Manual: Official Rules of Softball” with the following exceptions or noted points of emphasis:
General Rules Applying to All Divisions (Grades 3-8)
1. Each player present and able to play will bat in continuous, consecutive batting order. (Free defensive substitution).
2. If a player must leave the game for any reason, that spot in the batting order is skipped without an automatic out being charged, unless the reason for leaving is ejection (automatic out recorded for ejection).
3. Teams must field at least eight players to start and finish a game. (Forfeit if less)
4. If a team is playing with less than nine, an automatic out will not be charged for the virtual ninth batter.
5. No slashing (clear intent to fake a bunt, then pulling back to swing for a hit).
6. Slapping and drag bunting are allowed.
7. Game will start once scheduled time occurs and teams have enough players.
8. 5-run/inning rule is in effect. A team’s time at bat will end after that team scores 5 runs in an inning. In the last regulation inning or last inning as determined by the umpire subject to the time limit, a team may score as many runs as possible before their third out is declared.
9. Run-Ahead rule in effect when a team is up by 15 runs after 4 innings
10. Players must slide OR avoid contact; umpire has sole discretion in this area. If by avoiding contact a base runner runs out of base path, then an out is charged.
11. Courtesy runners may be used for pitcher and/or catcher. Courtesy runner will be the player who made the last out. (If courtesy runner is on base and that person’s time at bat comes up, then an out will be charged). This rule is in play when there are two outs and the courtesy runner is the person who made the last out.
12. Batters and base runners must wear approved helmets with face guard and chin strap
13. Pitcher shall be removed from the game after directly hitting 3 batters in an inning or 4 in the course of a game (bounced pitches do not count).
14. Pitchers can pitch a maximum of 3 consecutive innings per game, and cannot return once a new pitcher has started.
15. All pitchers MUST wear a face mask.
16. No new inning after 1 hour and 30 minutes and games must end after 2 hours of play
a. If there is no winner after last inning played, the score reverts to the previous inning. For example, Team A (home team) is up 11-4 on Team B (away team) after 4 innings and you start the 5th inning at the 1 hour and 25 minute mark. Team B bats first and scores 8 runs since it is unlimited. Unfortunately this takes 30 minutes and Team A is not able to bat (or it takes 20 minutes and Team A is up but is unable to finish the inning or get the go-ahead run in time), the score would then be entered based on the 4th inning score of 11-4
Junior League-Specific Rules
1. 35-foot distance from back point of home plate to front edge of the pitching rubber.
2. 11” ball to be used
3. 6-inning game
4. May play with 10 defensive fielders, in which case four must be outfielders, who must play on outfield grass/area.
5. Infield fly rule is not in effect. A girl is allowed to tag up on a fly ball, whether it is in the infield or the outfield
6. Batter may not advance on dropped third strike
7. There is no leading. A base runner may not leave the base until the ball has crossed the plate
8. No continuous walk, batter may only advance one base (to first base) when awarded a base on balls
9. Runner may only advance one base on a steal attempt; no stealing home; No stealing second; no advancing to home on a WP/PB-Must be a batted ball or a walk with bases loaded.
10. All other rules as per ASA Participation Manual except as noted under General Rules listed above
11. Fill out umpire evaluation forms. This really helps us to work with the umpires to improve the game.
12. The umpires are just kids trying to do their best. There is a lot of pressure on them to do a good job. Do not yell at the umpires!! If you feel they missed a call, talk to them in between innings and then fill out the evaluation form after the game
13. The umpires MUST wear the face mask or they don’t get paid. Please remind them that they need to have the mask. (umpire equipment is located in the field houses with the bases)